Cater to You prepares everyday fresh, healthy, quality meals made from scratch.
In our schools we prepare over 12,000 meals daily for students ranging from preschool children to high school seniors. Meals are always created on-site, from scratch, using the finest products. Our commitment is to provide traceable, local and sustainable meals with a focus on seasonality.
We recognize the importance of the local food community.
Our Farm to School program is committed to providing our schools with ingredients that are locally sourced, sustainable and traceable. We procure seasonal fruits and vegetables, eggs, dairy products, legumes and cider from NY, NJ, CT & PA farms.
Local not only includes our network of farms, but we also appreciate your school's community, whether that means buying bread from a bakery around the corner or exploring neighborhood specialty foods.
Nutrition at Birch Wathen Lenox
BWL has partnered with Cater to You as the food service provider to create daily meals that focus on optimal nutritional impact for the community. Meals are centered on a wide variety of protein sources both animal and plant based, whole grains, legumes, dairy foods, healthy fats, and the freshest of fruits and vegetables.
Menus are developed monthly to reflect seasonal availability, holidays and the special needs of the BWL community. The menus for the Middle and Upper School are slightly more sophisticated than the menus for the Lower school. Generally the side dishes for the Lower school are adjusted, not the main entrée.
The culinary team is led by our Chef Manager, Raul Mizquiri. His culinary knowledge exceeds 20 years in the production of food for children in a school setting.
BWL has a peanut and tree nut awareness policy in place. Cater to You does not prepare or serve meals which it knows or has reason to believe contain peanuts or tree nuts.
Extensive allergy awareness training certified by AllerTrain and ServSafe has been completed by both the Chef Manager and the Sous Chef. In addition, all other CtY employees serving the community of BWL receive allergy awareness training as part of their on-boarding groundwork.
Daily Dining at Birch Wathen Lenox
All menu items are prepared fresh daily by the full-time staff of five plus the Chef Manager and Sous Chef, who work to oversee that all preparation meets or exceeds our professional standards.
Lunch Service Includes:
- 2 Soups of the day; one chicken soup and a vegetarian soup
- Featured daily meat entrée
- Featured daily vegetarian entrée
- Side dish of whole grain, legume or starch
- Seasonal vegetable side dish
- Assorted fresh fruit options: bananas, New York state apples, oranges, and pears
- A special dessert is offered twice a week; Chloe's Fruit Pop one day and a homemade dessert one day.
- Both low fat milk delivered from Batten Kill Creamery – Salem, NY
- Beverage options also include: freshly prepared in-house naturally flavored water using the infusion of seasonal fruits or vegetables, NYS apple cider or chilled filtered water.
Our Salad Bar Program.
Guests also have the option to prepare their own salad from a selection of fresh toppings, which include:
- A selection of two salad greens are offered daily: Romaine, Boston, Greenleaf, Redleaf Lettuces, Baby Spinach, Kale, Arugula, Mesclun, and Watercress.
- On occasion, the salad greens will be substituted for a pre-made salad such as: Caesar Salad, Cobb Salad, Greek Salad, Chopped Salad, or a Citrus Ginger Salad.
- Legumes, Garbanzo, Kidney and Black Beans
- A Variety of Plant and Animal Proteins: Hard-Boiled Eggs, Grilled Chicken Breast, Roast Turkey Breast, Ham, Turkey, Salami, Roast Beef, and different Grilled Tofus (Plain, BBQ, Teriyaki, or Buffalo)
- Variety of freshly sliced vegetables: Bell Peppers, Broccoli, Croutons, Carrots, Cucumbers, Cauliflower, Corn, Olives, Tomato, Beets, Beans: Black, Navy, Kidney, Brussels Sprouts, Mushrooms, Shredded Cabbage etc.
- Cheeses: Cottage Cheese, Mozzarella, Pepper Jack, Cheddar, Muenster, American, Provolone, and Swiss Cheese
- Specialty toppings to accompany the menu, such as: Guacamole, Pico de Gallo, Hummus, Baba Ghanoush, Pita Chips...
- Homemade salad dressings which include: Balsamic Vinaigrette, Apple Cider Vinaigrette, CtY Dressing
- Stonyfield Organic Yogurt - 4 oz. portions, flavors vary on a daily basis
- House Baked, Nut-Free Granola
- Sliced fresh or dried fruit: Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Pineapple, Grapes, Honeydew, Apples
Besides creating your own salads we offer a daily changing variety of composed salads as well.
A few examples of our salads:
- Protein Salads
- Farmhouse Chicken Salad with Lemon, Celery and Apples
- Curried Tofu with Tomato, Red Onion, Dried Fruit and Thai Basil
- Roasted Garbanzos with Shaved Fennel, Carrot, Mint, and Red Cabbage
- Roasted Pear and Turkey, with Cider, Dijon, Endive, and Blue Cheese
- Vegetable Salads
- Roasted Corn with Avocado, Chili, Lime and Peppers
- Broccoli/ Rapini with Spicy Ginger Dressing
- Eggplant Caponata with Balsamic Reduction
- Roasted Root Vegetables (Beets, Radishes, Carrots, Sprouts and Fall Squash)
- Whole Grain/ Pasta Salads
- Lemon-Herb Quinoa with Spring Peas, Basil and Mint
- Wheat Berries with Asparagus, Spring Onion, and Shaved Radish
- Farro with Chickpeas, Feta and Artichokes
- Orzo with Fall Squash, Cress and Blue Cheese
Our Deli Bar Program.
Guests also have the option to prepare their own sandwich from a selection of freshly baked breads, which include:
- Club Rolls, Whole Wheat Bread and Rosette Rolls
- A rotating variety of meat selections. including Turkey, Ham, Grilled Chicken, and Roast Beef
- A rotating selection of Egg Salad or Tuna Salad
- Lettuce and Tomato
- A variety of roasted vegetables
- Sliced Cheese: Cheddar, Swiss, Muenster and Provolone
- Fresh Pickles
- Gluten-free Breads are available on request
- Jelly, Butter, Cream Cheese
Once a day students in grades K through 8 will receive a snack and juice or water. All snack are individually packaged and rotate daily and weekly. Cater to You offers sweet and hearty dry snacks from Back to Nature, Skeeter Snacks as well as string cheese and Stonyfield yogurts.
Our Allergen Policy
Cater to You does not prepare or serve meals which it knows or has reason to believe contain peanuts or tree nuts. Notwithstanding the efforts of Cater to You to maintain an environment free of peanuts or tree nuts, it may inadvertently use food items from outside vendors which, despite its requirements, have been produced in a facility area which processes those allergens. There is also a possibility that manufacturers of the commercial foods we use could change the formulation at any time, without notice.